1998: Check out
a whole new way of making noise :)
maube is stalled - try one of my new projects:
AUBE is a system for realtime sound generation and processing.
Keg Tracker is a GTK-based tracker, in development with Peter Ryland.
MUSIC FOR THE GNU GENERATION
maube [pronounced "MOBY"] is the first music module
tracker/editor for X11.
Like all good software, maube is covered by the GNU Public License.
Seedy feature list:
Version 0.10.4 (Released 30 Sep 1997):
0.10.3 (Released 15 July 1997):
- aube is an audio playback and control library, which forms the core functionality of maube. Its design goal is to provide a fine control
of audio playback and display interfacing, for use in trackers, games, demos,
and any other programs requiring precise audio control.
- maumodd is (currently) a simple command line mod player,
which uses the aube library to do the real work. Consequently maumodd
is effectively one line of code long :)
- improved playback
- 8 bit support: 8 bit support now works, implemented as
a #define in aube/aube_internal.h
0.10.2 (Released at some random UNSW Linux Party):
- saube (pronounced like "sorbet"), is the new sample editor,
introduced (minimally) in version 0.10.1.
- soia (the Self Organising Interface Attenuator) is the
interface library I am developing for and in parallel with maube. soia has
not quite completely detached itself from maube but is in the process of
doing so, and will soon be ready for incorporation into other
applications. It is currently pretty basic, providing most of the usual
widget-type components, and does not in any way "self organise" yet,
although you can drag panels around which is pretty funky if you're bored.
- Loads XM, MOD, S3M
- Loads raw samples (what? out of date screenshot? never!)
- Saves XM
- Defaults to 162 bpm (Other trackers default to 125 bpm because it
is the MOD standard ... unfortunately I like my music a little harder :)
- All the functions you can see in these screenshots work ... as do a few
you can't see here!
- Movable button panels (ie. click on the green bits and drag the panels
around ...). maube's interface is written from scratch
in Xlib "because I can" and because no existing widget set does what I want.
Not *yet* :)
- Rude messages when you hold your mouse over certain buttons
- Big blank purple bits
K. <- flame me quick!!
Last modified Wed Sep 9 1998.
Developed on Linux.